Braised Roast Beef
February 25 2019
- 3-4 lb Beef Chuck Roast
- 1 cup flour, for dredging
- 4 large carrots
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2.5 cups Erie Bone Broth Bison Broth
- 2.5 cups Erie Bone Broth Beef Broth
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the Roast
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Place the flour on a plate and add the salt and pepper.
- Coat the roast on all four sides thoroughly with the flour. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in large dutch oven (or ovenproof pot) on medium-high heat. When oil starts to shimmer, add the roast and sear all four sides until brown. Remove and set the roast aside on plate.
For the Veggies
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in dutch oven (after searing roast) over medium high heat. Add garlic, onions, and carrots. Sauté until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1/2 cup of beef broth to deglaze the pan, scraping up the fond on the bottom. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 min.
- Add the remaining beef broth, bison broth, tamari, bay leaf, and more salt and pepper (to taste).
- Submerge roast into liquid, carrots, onions, and garlic. Place lid on dutch oven.
- Place in oven and cook for 2-3 hours, or until meat pulls apart with a fork.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 20 minutes. Serve with mashed potatoes and rainbow carrots.
*Recipe inspired by So Damn Delish